As trainees and newly qualified pharmacists get started in their careers, the charity Pharmacist Support has published a fact sheet with information to help deal with common queries regarding employment contracts.
- Written, verbal and statutory requirements
- Rates of pay
- Rest breaks
- Sick leave
- Working hours
- Notice requirements.
There is also a checklist covering issues that trainees and newly qualified pharmacists should avoid in a contract, including:
- No statement of working hours
- Variations in working site
- Any attempt to reduce statutory rights
- Financial penalty clause for leaving before the end of contracted period.
The fact sheet also covers areas that relate specifically to pre-registration trainees, including learning contracts, study time and training plans, as well as information about where to go for advice, including trade unions and the charity’s own service which includes a referral to a specialist employment adviser if required.